- What is Magnesium L-Threonate?
- Benefits of Magnesium L-Threonate
- How to Take & Dosage
Magnesium L-threonate is a not very widely talked about substance that has quite a few benefits. Typically, doctors recommend it to those with a magnesium deficiency but others take it as a cognitive enhancer or a sleep aid. We will go over all these potential usages and more in this article.
What is Magnesium L-Threonate?
Magnesium L-threonate is what happens when magnesium meets threonic acid. It’s a salt that forms when vitamin c is broken down. It’s intent is to be a form of magnesium that is very easy for your body to absorb. Magnesium L-threonate is known for its cognitive benefits and this is thought to be because through animal trials it was found that this compound was most effective in increasing the amount of magnesium that makes it to your brain cells.
Benefits of Magnesium L-Threonate
Magnesium L-threonate is often used for managing certain brain disorders such as depression and ageing-related memory loss, as seen in dementia. This is most likely because it is easily absorbed and effectively increases magnesium concentrations in the brain cells. Research shows magnesium L-threonate can help prevent cell death and preserve cognitive function. Magnesium L-threonate has also been found to have the potential to avoid the development of Parkinson’s disease. This is because magnesium L-threonate can elevate the magnesium level in the fluid surrounding the brain and protect against motor deficits and neuron loss.
Increased Magnesium Levels
Magnesium L-threonate can be taken as a nutritional supplement to normalize the body’s magnesium levels. It provides magnesium that is utilized by the body for many functions, including bone and muscle health, blood clotting, immune system support and insulin secretion.
Studies show that magnesium L-threonate supports the production of collagen and other minerals important for improved bone health and preventing osteoporosis.
Increase deep sleep; fall asleep faster
A calming and soothing blend of adaptogens with Chamomile, Rose, and Magnesium to help you catch the ZzZ’s, and stay asleep*. Sleep tight and wake up refreshed.
Hair Loss Treatment
Studies have shown that magnesium L-threonate can help repress the gene involved in male pattern baldness.
Relief from Anxiety and Stress
Research shows that stress can deplete magnesium levels in the body, while a magnesium deficiency can also enhance stress. Supplementing with magnesium L-threonate can reduce anxiety and stress. This is because magnesium L-threonate enhances the magnesium levels in the brain.
Studies have shown that magnesium L-threonate has the potential to improve mood, because it provides the brain with sufficient magnesium levels it needs to produce “feel good” chemicals in the body such as serotonin and dopamine.
Other Benefits – Increased Focus
A research study showed that adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) who received up to 1g of magnesium L-threonate in the morning and evening for 12 weeks showed a 25% reduction in symptoms.
How to Take Magnesium L-Threonate & Dosage
Magnesium L-threonate is available as a supplement in tablet form, around 1500-2000 mg per dose. It is recommended to take 2000mg of magnesium L-threonate. It is also available in powder form which can be dissolved in water or included in any healthy drink such as smoothies.
Get The Most Out of Magnesium L-threonate
We recommend taking magnesium L-threonate with other complimenting superfoods. In addition, magnesium glycinate is a wonderful duo with magnesium L-threonate! The glycinate will help you with your sleep while magnesium L-threonate will boost cognitive function. Together they can help you get a deep sleep and feel well rested the next day. We’ve done the work for you. Our night time super food tea, MoonBrew, has 14 superfoods and includes both magnesium L-threonate and magnesium glycinate. Just mix the tea powder with hot or cold water and in seconds you’ll have a delicious bedtime tea with serious health benefits.
Magnesium L-Threonate has quite a few benefits! It has a reputation for cognitive enhancement but can also improve your mood by reducing stress and anxiety. It pairs wonderfully with magnesium glycinate if your goal is to increase your quality of sleep and decrease daytime tiredness.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (2022). PubChem Compound Summary for CID 151152, Threonic acid. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Threonic-acid
- Zarate c. et al. (2013). New paradigms for treatment-resistant depression. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2013 Jul:1292:21-31.
- Kim Y. et al. (2020). Neuroprotective effects of magnesium L-threonate in a hypoxic zebrafish model. BMC Neurosci. 2020 Jun 26:21(1):29.
- Brazier Y. (2021). Parkinson’s disease early signs and causes. Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323396#early-signs.
- National Cancer Institute (2022). Magnesium L-threonate. https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-drug/def/magnesium-l-threonate.
- Wang H., Hu P. and Jiang J. (2011). Pharmacokinatics and safety of calcium L-threonate in healthy volunteers after single and multiple oral administrations. Acta Pharmacol Si. 2011 Dec.
- Rowe D. et al. (1999). Enhanced production of mineralized nodules and collabgenous proteins in vitro by calcium ascorbate supplemented with vitamin C metabolites. Journal of Periodontology. Volume 70, Issue 9, pages 992-999
- Kwack M. et al. (2010). Preventable effect of L-threonate, an ascorbate metabolite, on androgen-driven balding via repression of dihydrotestosterone-induced dickkopf-1 expression in human hair dermal papilla cells. BMB Rep. 2010 Oct.
- Singewald N. et al. Magnesium-deficient diet alters depression and anxiety-related behavior in mice – influence of desipramine and Hypericum perforatum extract. Neuropharmacology. 2004 Dec;47(8):1189-97.
- Abumaria N. et al. (2011). Effects of elevation of brain magnesium on fear conditioning, fear extinction, and synaptic plasticity in the infralimbic prefrontal cortex and lateral amygdala. J Neurosci. 2011 Oct 19:31(420:14871-81.
- Eby G. (2010). Magnesium for treatment-resistant depression: a review and hypothesis. Med Hypotheses. 2010 Apr:74(4):649-60.
- Liu G. et al. (2016). Efficacy and safety of MMFS-01, a synapse density enhancer, for treating cognitive impairment in older adults: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Alzheimers Dis. 2016;49(4):971-90
- Surman C. et al. (2021). L-Threonic Acid Magnesium salt Supplementation in ADHD: An Open-Label Pilot Study. J Diet Suppl. 2021:18(2):119-131.
- Sherrell Z. (2022). What to know about magnesium L-threonate. Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/magnesium-threonate
- Monge J. (2021). Magnesium L-Threonate Benefits. Life Extension. https://www.lifeextension.com/wellness/supplements/magnesium-threonate-benefits
- “New paradigms for treatment-resistant depression” PubMed, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23876043/. Accessed 17 Nov. 2022.